Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sew Adventurous

As I have been on bed rest for the last 8 wks it has given me a ton of time to surf the web for cute crafts ideas. I get inspired to make new items all the time, which drives Cory crazy because I always need to go to a craft store for supplies. My newest inspiration has been in the sewing department, which I admit is one of my weakest areas, but I was bored and feeling bold so I tried something new. I kept it simple with learning how to make fabric yo-yos and fabric flowers.

I then went on to sew a very simple sundress I found on the web. I was able to use mostly fabric that I had on hand with the exception of a new accent fabric, which I had to justify getting by explaining that it would be a birthday dress for Phoebs. The dress took me 2 half days to sew, but I am very slow and rather inexperienced when it comes to reading and applying sewing instructions. I am sure it would take more experienced sewers a only couple of hours to put together. The finished product was so darling on the hanger, but when I went to put it on Phoebs it drowned her.

I guess I should have made it a bit more petite for my wee one. I feel it fits her no better than if I had cut some holes in a giant garbage sack and stuck it on her, hints why I so lovingly now refer to Phoebs' new birthday dress as a fancy garbage sack. Oh well, luckily Phoebs is cute enough to make even a fancy garbage sack look cute.

No comments: