Thursday, December 22, 2011

Who Has Ever Heard of a Lowfat Doughnut???

A couple a Months ago I was really craving doughnuts but I am also trying to stick to my diet so I posted on my Facebook pg that I could really use a LOW-FAT doughnut recipe if such a thing existed. After some recipe Google-ing a friend of mine came to me with a recipe for Lowfat Baked Doughnuts. I figured I would give them a try to see if they were even edible since I already owned a doughnut pan. Let me tell you they are delicious...sure they don't take like a great deep fried maple bar or classic glaze but they are still pretty darn good! I have made multiple batches already and my kiddos LOVE them. I make glazey sprinkle ones and cinnamon sugar ones.
My kids always eat at least 2 whenever I make a batch (not mini sized doughnuts either). One day I even came down stairs to see Josh had snuck into the container of left over doughnuts and he was quietly ravaging them in secrecy.
    LOWFAT BAKED DOUGHNUTS
    Dry Ingredients: 1 Cup All Purpose Flour 1/2 Cup Sugar 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder 1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 tsp (scant) Nutmeg 1 tiny pinch or shake Cinnamon Wet Ingredients: 1/2 Cup skim milk 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract Egg whites 3 Tbs I Can't Believe...Butter Light Toppings: glaze - 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar (lump free!) 1 Tbs milk (adds 20 cal per donut)

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly. Combine wet ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium low heat and mix until earth balance is melted. This mixture should NOT get too hot, you should be able to stick your finger in the mixture. It should feel slightly warm. If you burn yourself, 1) it's not my fault! and 2) it's too hot for the dough!

Add wet to dry and mix until just combined. It should form a very soft dough.

Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out dough into your ungreased nonstick mini-donut pan. Smooth out the top of the dough with your fingers, this will make for more even, prettier donuts, but isn’t crucial.

the dough sits just below the rim. If you over fill, your donuts will come out looking like it has a little muffin top. Not the end of the world, but not very donut-like either.

Bake for 12 minutes. They should not be browned on top, but a tester will come out clean. Invert hot pan over a cutting board or cooling rack to release donuts. Allow to cool completely before decorating.

Time for toppings!

For glaze:
Whisk soymilk and powdered sugar together. Dip the “bottom” half of the donut (the side with the nicer shape) into the glaze, let some drip off, then dip glaze-side down into sprinkles. Transfer to a wire rack that has been set on top of some parchment paper. The excess glaze will drip through the rack onto the paper for easy cleaning later.

No comments: